Spring Dragon Tea: The Healthiest Tea on Earth?
Spring Dragon Tea: Learn About The Most Popular Teas
In 1972, a group of Japanese researchers reported that Gynostemma tea, affectionately know as spring dragon tea, was being consumed as a daily “longevity tea” by large numbers of southern Chinese people. It was revered in the regions where it grew as “magical grass” because of its many reputed health benefits. Subsequently, studies conducted first in Japan revealed that Gynostemma, also known as Jiaogulan, was extremely rich in saponins that were extremely close to those found in Ginseng and Siberian Ginseng.
As it turned out, Gynostemma contains over 80 of these beneficial saponins, as opposed to the approximately 35 found in Ginseng. Many of these gypenosides are actually almost identical to the ginsenosides found in Ginseng. Gynostemma is also much cheaper to produce, since it takes less than a year to cultivate it. Ginseng has to be aged for at least 5 years before it is ready for consumption.
Healthy And Natural Teas
Gynostemma tea had generally been made from wild mountain Gynostemma pentaphyllum plants, but as Gynostemma's reputation as a longevity herb grew, farmers learned to cultivate it. Within a decade, Gynostemma was being consumed by millions of Asians as a tonic tea.
The ultimate greatness of Gynostemma lies in its broad spectrum adaptogenic (stress modulating) quality. Adaptogenic herbs improve the efficiency of the metabolic, neurological, immunologic, respiratory and endocrine systems. Prolonged consumption of Gynostemma tends to have a highly protective quality because it strengthens the adaptive capacity of the person at every level of their life.
In Asia, Gynostemma is considered to be
- Invigorating (does not cause hyperactivity – not a stimulant)
- Calming (promotes a sense of peace – not a sedative)
- Anti-aging (antioxidant and more)
- Anti-inflammatory (not as a medicine, but to help reduce the factors that cause low grade, sub-clinical chronic inflammation experienced by all humans)
- Immune-regulating (not as a medicine, but to help support the normal healthy functioning of various immune functions)
- A respiratory tonic (improve respiratory efficiency)
- A digestive aid (Gynostemma is very soothing)
Spring Dragon Longevity Tea: Teas Made With Extraordinary Skill And Care
Gynostemma is one of a few natural substances that has been shown to increase levels of SOD (Superoxide Dismutase), one of the most important antioxidants in the body. It also seems to have a double-direction activity on many processes in the body, which is an effect that many adaptogenic herbs exhibit. In the case of Gynostemma, the effects are most pronounced when dealing with blood pressure, blood-sugar, and cholesterol levels.
Gynostemma has developed an enormous reputation in Asia as a major aid in weight management programs
- Gynostemma has been shown to have a double-direction activity with regard to weight. Gynostemma can be useful in reducing excessive body fat, when combined with a reasonable exercise program and a healthy diet that modulates caloric intake.
- Gynostemma may also help athletes, body builders or excessively slim people to gain weight.
- Gynostemma accelerates the body’s metabolism and helps adjust blood sugar and blood fat levels. Adjusting blood sugar and blood fat are critical steps in attaining healthy metabolic function, whether one wants to lose weight by reducing excessive body fat, gain weight by building lean muscle, or maintain healthy weight by helping regulate bodily functions.
- Although Gynostemma is not laxative, it may help maintain healthy bowel movements.
- Gynostemma acts as a scavenger in the stomach and intestines, ridding the body of toxins, toxic microbes and waste that otherwise may become lodged in the intestines.
- Gynostemma protects the stomach lining.
Spring Dragon Longevity Tea uses Gynostemma as the main ingredient, but the leaves are actually infused with the following tonic herb extracts:
Schizandra – Called the “quintessence of Chinese herbs,” Schizandra is a delicious, exotic tonic fruit that is traditionally used to tonify all the systems of the body, clean the liver, open the lungs, nourish and moisturize the skin, and sharpen the mind. It is a potent antioxidant.
Goji Berries – Known in Asia as a premier “longevity and anti-aging herb,” this delicious tonic fruit is a true superfood, rich in antioxidants. It is famous for enhancing strength, vision and beauty. Goji is rich in immune-potentiating polysaccharides.
Astragalus – One of the most important herbs in all of herbalism, Astragalus is highly regarded for its immune-regulating, immune-potentiating effects. It is also a potent energy tonic and blood tonic.
Eleuthero – Also known as “Siberian Ginseng,” Eleuthero is famous for its ability to enhance physical and mental endurance, to help us handle stress more efficiently and as a gentle mood elevator. Eleuthero, like ginseng and Gynostemma, is rich in saponins. It is the ultimate adaptogenic herb.
Luo Han Guo – This delicious, exotic fruit has been used for centuries as a lung tonic. It contains mogroside, a potent immune-potentiating glucoside.
This blend is not just a bunch of herbs thrown together. It is a very potent infusion that is 5 to 10 times stronger than just a regular blend of herbs. Consumed daily, Spring Dragon is one of the best herbal teas you can drink.
You can find this tea here at Peach Vitamins in Atlanta. We also have the Gynostemma in pill form from Mayway, but they sell it under the Chinese name "Jiaogulan." Gynostemma is still relatively unknown in the world. Until about 30 years ago it was exclusively drunk only in certain parts of southern China. It has since caught on in Asia, but is just now starting to become popular in the west.
Spring Dragon tea is called the healthiest tea on earth, but it happens to be rather inexpensive for a longevity tea. That's why many refer to Gynostemma as Ginseng at a tea price!